Help When You Need It Most.
emPower™ works with you, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services and your utility and/or fuel provider(s) to find ways to help pay your heat-related energy bills while you strive to become self-sufficient.
At emPower, we want to help you meet your needs, achieve your potential and reach self-sufficiency so you can make positive changes in your life.
We are working to provide help across Michigan for 2020-2021.
Please follow the directions below to begin your journey toward self-sufficiency.
Steps for emPower heat and energy assistance:
- Complete and be approved for Michigan Department of Health and Human Services’ State Emergency Relief (SER) assistance; apply through MI Bridges. If you have already applied for an SER after October 1, 2020 please skip to the next step. Choose TrueNorth Community Services as your referral partner.
- Click here to complete a Self-Sufficiency plan.
- Email us a copy of your SER decision letter when you receive it. Our email is email@example.com, or you can take a photo and text it to (202) 900-9906.
- A member of our emPower team will reach out to you to begin your self-sufficiency journey.
Do you still have questions about emPower and its Self-Sufficiency Services?
- Call us: 231.355.5880
- Reach out to us on our online Contact form
MI Bridges connects Michigan individuals and families to a range of state and local resources, particularly Michigan Department of Health and Human Services benefit programs, to promote household stability.
You can apply for emergency energy assistance through the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services either online through the MI Bridges portal at www.michigan.gov/mibridges or with a completed paper application accompanied by supporting documentation and dropped off at your local MDHHS office.
Assistance is available through State Emergency Relief and the Michigan Energy Assistance Program.
The application can be submitted:
- At MDHHS offices: http://www.michigan.gov/ContactMDHHS
- By mail: Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, P.O. Box 8123, Royal Oak, MI 48068-9985
- By fax to MDHHS offices: http://www.michigan.gov/ContactMDHHS
If you need technical assistance with the MI Bridges portal, call 844.799.9876.
You can print out an MDHHS Assistance Application (all 20 pages) below.
You can find MDHHS office locations near you by calling 855.275.6424.
Get more instruction on applying for benefits, managing your case and exploring resources through MI Bridges by watching the video below.
Get more information on applying for assistance from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) with the Information Booklet below.