Help When You Need It Most.
We are currently accepting applications to assist with past-due heat and energy bills as well as enrollments into affordable payment plans.
These are the steps to discover success by gaining emPower’s assistance through our Self-Sufficiency Services:
1. Complete and be approved for Michigan Department of Health and Human Services’ State Emergency Relief (SER) assistance; apply through MI Bridges. If you have already applied for an SER since October 1, 2021, please go here and complete a self-sufficiency plan. You can also call us at 231-355-5880.
2. Choose TrueNorth Community Services as your referral partner.
3. Receive communication from emPower to start your self-sufficiency journey.
MI Bridges connects Michigan individuals and families to a range of state and local resources, particularly Michigan Department of Health and Human Services benefit programs, to promote household stability.
You can apply for emergency energy assistance through the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services either online through the MI Bridges portal at www.michigan.gov/mibridges or with a completed paper application accompanied by supporting documentation and dropped off at your local MDHHS office.
Assistance is available through State Emergency Relief and the Michigan Energy Assistance Program.
The application can be submitted:
- At MDHHS offices: http://www.michigan.gov/ContactMDHHS
- By mail: Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, P.O. Box 8123, Royal Oak, MI 48068-9985
- By fax to MDHHS offices: http://www.michigan.gov/ContactMDHHS
If you need technical assistance with the MI Bridges portal, call 844.799.9876.
You can print out an MDHHS Assistance Application (all 20 pages) below.
You can find MDHHS office locations near you by calling 855.275.6424.
Get more instruction on applying for benefits, managing your case and exploring resources through MI Bridges by watching the video below.
Get more information on applying for assistance from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) with the Information Booklet below.